When to Hold Them

When to Hold Them - G.B. Gordon 2.5 stars

I like Doran and Xavier. I just don't love them. I've been trying to figure out if my expectations were too high for this book. I absolutely adored [b:Santuario|15849760|Santuario (Santuario, #1)|G.B. Gordon|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345988753s/15849760.jpg|21596010] and [b:The Other Side of Winter|24017587|The Other Side of Winter (Santuario, #2)|G.B. Gordon|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1419290333s/24017587.jpg|43616687], and I was eagerly awaiting this next book by the author. So maybe that's why I was underwhelmed. I'm still not sure. The relationship is sweet. I like them together.

Doran's gambling restitution is the reason he's in Bluewater Bay and working in the job that lets him creep on Xavier. Luckily, it's harmless staring out of the window and getting flustered type creeping. Until the day they meet. Then it's in person flustered.

The story felt a bit long to me. I was bored with the pacing at times, and some of the scenes felt redundant. Just when I thought Doran had cleared past an issue, it came up again. When some of the gambling issues came to a head, it was a bit OTT. I felt a little dragged from issue to issue.

Xavier is the more stable of the two with super supportive parents and chosen career path. His conflict for the story is within the relationship and particularly the sexual part. While this book is kink lite, there is a power dynamic element that's interesting. Xavier spends much of the book trying to figure out what submission means with Doran and how much of it should be in the bedroom and out of it.

The character development is strong. The story is good, not great.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.