The Redemption of Callie & Kayden

The Redemption of Callie & Kayden - Jessica Sorensen Spoiler alert: If you haven't read THE COINCIDENCE OF CALLIE AND KAYDEN, this review will contain spoilers.

Book 1 ended abruptly, and I felt compelled to immediately read book 2. So brava to the author for that. Unfortunately, I found this book even more difficult to read. The first jarring moment for me was when inside Callie's voice, she uses the word ""rape"". It occurs at least twice very early on in this book. She so very carefully avoids the word and even a full follow-through on the event during the first book that I was jolted by the word.

I found myself skimming long parts of this book, most especially during some of the sexy times. Some felt gratuitous to me. I was also surprised (first in book 1, but then again here) where Callie lets Kayden hold her down during sex. She relives the rape in her head and describes that feeling, and yet it wasn't a trigger at ALL during any of her sexual encounters with Kayden. Considering how many things were triggers for her, this specifically felt like an off note to me.

Speaking of off (and this is a minor personal grievance to be sure), how many teenagers use the word ""offish""? It appeared in BOTH books with multiple teens saying it.

And again, despite all of my issues with this story, I read to the end. I'm curious about the upcoming book featuring Luke. I WANT to know what happens for these characters; I just want to know it in better words.