Review: The Coincidence of Callie and Kaden

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden - Jessica Sorensen

This story is told in first person from both Callie AND Kayden. This style is new to me, and it offers an interesting perspective throughout. The problem for me is that inside the head of your average teenager is an angst-filled pit of self-doubts and immature thought processes. Inside the heads of TWO teens who have each experienced significant life traumas and abuse is an angsty pit of sludge made up of those things x1000.

I can't say if this situation would be made better by strong writing, but I CAN say it was certainly made worse due to poor writing. This is my first book by the author, so I can't speak to her style choices. Perhaps the repetition and occasionally strange verb choices were the "voice" of the characters. These things pulled me out of the story many times.

The story felt long to me, as well. I was pulled in early and felt my heart breaking for the tragedies that were Callie and Kayden's childhoods, but at the halfway mark, I was waiting impatiently for more to happen.

The book ends abruptly and feels like Part 1. It's very long to not be a standalone book, in my opinion. Nothing is resolved at the end. I give this 2.5 stars, because I felt compelled to read the sequel despite my grievances with book 1.

This review was first posted on Goodreads.